James Well and Rogues Point Progress Association Inc.

James Well

James Well, formerly an Aboriginal watering place, was named after William Wearne JAMES who owned a farm nearby when other settlers got their water from.

Plague on the Well

Plague on the Well

Surveyors in the Hundred of Muloowurtie were:

James Well Windmill and Well

The Well and Windmill on James Well Road

The table below shows the land purchased by Wiliam Wearne JAMES that became James Well.

Section Acres Price Purchaser Tenure Date
57, 58 552 £2772.2.0 William JAMES C.A.10947 3/12/1878

Much of the Hundred of Muloowurtie was covered in scrub. The following Sections were taken up as Scrub Leases by William Wearne JAMES and Thomas JAMES from 1 October 1881 for a term of twenty-one years

Section Acres Rental Lessee Lease No.
76 452 £4.10.0 William JAMES S.L. 1294
80, 81 922 £2.10.0 William JAMES S.L. 1296
82, 83 847 £1.5.0 William JAMES S.L. 1418
84, 85 937 £10.5.0 Thomas JAMES S.L. 1297

Click here to see the Muloowurtie map to see the Sections highlighted that William & Thomas JAMES purchased and leased.

Source: Salt Winds Across Barley Plains, Beryl Neumann, 1983, Gillingham Printers, pages 42, 44